|Employer||Myriad Genetics, Inc|
|Job type||Full Time|
|City||South San Francisco|
Location: South San Francisco, CA, United States
Job Identification: 283
Job Schedule: Full time
The Process Engineering Group is a multidisciplinary group of scientists and engineers with backgrounds in chemistry, molecular biology, data analytics, process engineering, and lab automation. The mission of the group is to keep our clinical lab running by providing data driven oversight of lab operations, leading troubleshooting and investigation efforts, driving continuous improvement, and helping to integrate new technologies and methods into the lab.
As a process engineer within Myriad Women's Health Process Engineering Group you will play a key role in the scale-up of our automated laboratory to support the simultaneous processing of thousands of samples across multiple workflows. You will lead and participate in teams of clinical scientists, automation and software engineers, molecular biologists in identifying and resolving issues that arise in our state-of-the-art clinical genomics laboratory. You will be a crucial voice in the development of new workflows and lab automation platforms.
This role will be expected to serve as a subject matter expert in at least one of the following areas:
• Sequencing-by-synthesis next generation sequencing
• Genomic sample preparation techniques
• Laboratory automation
• Operational analytics
• Support the clinical lab by troubleshooting sequencing laboratory workflows involving NGS chemistry, laboratory equipment, and informatics infrastructure.
• Build expertise and serve as a subject matter expert in laboratory systems including NGS Sequencing equipment (Illumina), Laboratory Automation (Tecan, Beckman, Agilent, HighRes,etc), and other analytical devices (plate readers, automated size selection, etc)
• Drive continuous improvement within the clinical lab to reduce test turnaround time, reduce COGS, and improve product quality.
• Assist in the transfer of new technology from the Translational Development team to the Clinical Lab by helping to establish design requirements, process validations, and equipment qualifications.
• Draft and own key quality documentation for processes (IQ/OQ/PQ)
• Create and manage process documentation for the oversight and management of our lab practices.
• Develop data dashboards and conduct data driven investigations to provide oversight of clinical lab operations.
• Lead ongoing investigations and improvement projects involving a wide cross section of disciplines and functional areas.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Biology, or related scientific field, advanced degrees are a plus
• 9+ years of working experience in a related function, 7+ years with a master's degree, or 4+ years with a Doctoral degree.
• Solid background in statistics and data-driven decision making
• Knowledge of NGS workflows, deep background in NGS related biochemistry is a big plus
• Training in process management/improvement philosophies (lean, six sigma, etc) is desired
• Prior experience working within a regulated environment (cGMP, ISO 13485, or similar framework)
• Comfortable with basic scripting for data mining and analysis (R/Python or similar)
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects and investigations with 5+ years of project leadership experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work in a cross-disciplinary manner with scientists, engineers, and clinical lab staff
• Capacity to deconstruct systems down to first principles in order to evaluate process risk and evaluate potential root causes
• Experience working with lab automation equipment (robotic arms, automated storage systems, bulk dispensers, tube sorters etc) is a plus
• Prior exposure to developing methods for liquid handlers (Tecan, Biomek, Agilent) is a plus