San Jacinto College
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The San Jacinto College District is committed to equal opportunity for all students, employees, and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Summer Camp Assistant Instructor - STEMPACT
Provide professional instruction for Continuing & Professional Development (CPD) classes offered at off-site school locations through San Jacinto College as well as its Central, North, and/or South campuses. Applications for part-time, full-time faculty positions are accepted on a continuous basis and reviewed if openings become available. Instructors will be employed as part-time faculty (full-time during the summer) are not entitled to all the rights, privileges, and benefits of regular, full-time employees. Part-time faculty are hired on an "as needed" basis and will work for the duration of time specified by the respective course.
- Assistant Instructor with an assigned camp cohort working under the guidance of the Lead Instructor.
- Teach key concepts in a variety of formats: hands-on, direct instruction, group work and one-on-one with students using curriculum provided by San Jacinto College's Lifelong Learning program
- Develop and supplement instructional material, activities, virtual tours, etc., as needed but in conjunction with San Jacinto College's Lifelong Learning personnel
- Provide constructive feedback to the camper cohort
- Analyze data
- Providing overall safety and oversight of the students
- Provide cleaning/ organizing/repairing of instructional materials and equipment as needed
- Flexibility and reliable transportation to teach at one or more campuses as needed
- Communicating and treating children, parents, and coworkers with respect
- Take part in staff training prior to the course and staff meetings as required
- Administer and collect pre and post-tests and student surveys at the beginning and end of the class.
- Maintain conducive learning environment within the classroom through effective classroom management skills
- Assist with set up and clean-up of all related activities during the class
- Oversee and provide students with snacks, exercise opportunities, supplemental activities, and homework assistance daily
- Fill out roster of daily attendance and submit to the Lifelong Learning staff regularly
- Other duties as required
Position pays $20/hr. Classes will take place over one week in June and two weeks in July 2021 from 7:30am-5:30pm Monday-Thursday and 7:30am-12:30pm on Fridays.
Teaching site locations are San Jacinto College's North, Central and South campuses.
Please attach Resume, Cover letter, three professional references and contact information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics concepts
- Information technology literacy skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective classroom management skills.
- Responsible, punctual, friendly, and enthusiastic.
- Ability to commit to teaching for 6 or more weeks at various site locations.
- College sophomore year level in the camp discipline, or work experience in the camp discipline sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- 2 or more years of formal/informal academic teaching experience with youth (volunteer experience considered)
- Willing to undergo background check and training
- Bachelor's degree in STEM field
- Teacher certification in science, technology, or math
- Four or more years of teaching academic courses for elementary, middle, and/or high school students in a public or private ISD setting
- First Aid / CPR certification
Salary is based on the Board-approved salary schedule for the current fiscal year.
See Salary Schedule
Posting Close Date: