San Jacinto College
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The San Jacinto College District is committed to equal opportunity for all students, employees, and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Coordinator, Veteran Services - Central Campus
Provides leadership to the Veteran Services Center on campus through programming and educational planning, retention initiatives, and benefit counseling.
Essential Job Functions:
Additional Job Functions:
- Coordinates and supervises the activities of the Veteran Services Center, budgets, approves payroll and maintains office schedules.
- Provides educational planning / academic advising, registration assistance, and assistance in accessing and navigating institutional requirements to students using VA and Hazlewood educational benefits.
- Creates and implements programs and services targeted to veteran students that support retention and completion. Collaborates with other departments on activities that assist veteran students in their personal, educational, and career goals.
- Collaborates with counterparts and Manager, Veteran Services to ensure consistent and uniform application of all functions, processes, and services within Veteran Services across the College.
- Interviews, selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates a diverse staff through the performance management system. Makes appropriate staffing recommendations in accordance with College policies and procedures.
- Assists with the end-of-term reporting and account reconciliation process.
- Works with Student Development and Student Services leaders on assigned campus to ensure consistency between departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Consults and collaborates with the Manager, Veteran Services and counterparts to plan, implement, and evaluate services of the campus through data analysis. Submits monthly and annual written reports, including professional improvement and growth activities.
- Facilitates timely, professional communication and problem resolution strategies with students.
- Represents the College with outside educational institutions, community agencies, internal departments, and professional organizations. Serves as department liaison and on campus/college committees as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to the College values and the success of the College and its students
- Must be able to have a thorough understanding of the complex rules and regulations as it relates to state and federal veteran education benefits
- Must be team-oriented with the ability to work well with other staff and faculty members
- Excellent oral & written communication, interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills as well as possess personal computer literacy
- Ability to understand complex accounting issues as it relates to students receiving veteran benefits
- Ability to manage numerous tasks simultaneously as well as develop new projects and programs with little supervision
- Ability to safeguard sensitive and/or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure
- Ability to meet deadlines for assigned reports and projects
- Ability to interview, select, train, supervise, and evaluate a diverse population of personnel
- Ability to provide feedback, support, and encouragement to staff members
- Ability to perform all the essential functions of the position
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Master's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Experience in educational planning and academic advising
- Experience with creating and fostering student success, retention and completion
- Supervisory experience
Note: This position has opportunity for limited remote work arrangements with appropriate approvals and in accordance with the policies, procedures, and needs of the College.
- Experience certifying VA and / or Hazlewood education benefits
- Budget management experience
- Knowledge and experience with Banner Student Systems or other student database software systems preferred
Salary is based on the Board-approved salary schedule for the current fiscal year.
See Salary Schedule
Posting Close Date: